HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
My thoughts and plans for the Solar Hot Water Controller... (Read 5202 times)
SolarUSMC
YaBB Newbies

Re: My thoughts and plans for the Solar Hot Water Controller...
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 8:35am

Hi Solar Freak,

what's cool about the radiator is that it doesen't require red hot water temps to make it kick out heat.

The radiator I picked up was a 14 ft. x 1 ft tall Runtal USED off of Craigslist. It was a real score. It's made out of steel and uses 1/2 inch inlet/outlet connections for the water to pass thru..

Baseboard hydronic needs like 160 to 180 degree water temps to make them kick out any kind of good radient heat but this Runtal radiator is wayyyyyyyyyy different.

It's kinda like radient floor heat. I can run even 80 degree water temp thru it and it kicks out great heat.

When my solar collected hot water is up to temp, say 80 degrees to 110 (winter time) I use a timer to send hot water to the big Runtal radiator 1/2 hour ON / 1/2 our OFF so the circulator isn't running 24/7

I have the timer set to come on around supper time 5:30pm after the sun goes down and comes on and off till around 9 pm then completely OFF till around 4:30am. I have it run On/Off from 4 am to around 8:30am to use up any left over hot water in the storage tank.

So far.. it's working beautiful.

When I can afford it.. I'm going to pick up a few PV panels and the Solar Hot Water Controller from Nate sold here at this website and connect it to my used electric hot water tank I use for my solar hot water drainback tank in hopes of increasing the water temps for my heat distribution radiator.

but one day atta time.
I'm retired on a fixed income here.. 100% diabled Vietnam Vet so only so much dough to go around at the end of each billing month.

soon as I do scrounge up some extra dough, pick up everything I need (hopefully used except for the solar controller) and hook it up I'll let ya know.

Take care and thanks for your interest in my solar stuff.

PS: I have a pdf file showing my solar hot water system including drainback tank and 2 storage tanks if anyone wants to check it out.. Just email me and I'll send it over to you.

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Re: My thoughts and plans for the Solar Hot Water Controller...
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 1:59pm

Hey that sounds like a interesting project. Post back after you test and let us know how well its working? Cheesy I like the part about using a radiator for heat too. Cool

SolarUSMC
YaBB Newbies

My thoughts and plans for the Solar Hot Water Controller...
Oct 31st, 2013 at 6:18am

When I built my DIY solar hot water system I built a simple drainback thermol system so all water returns to the drainback tank when the circulator pump shuts down.

I installed a used 6 gallon electric hot water heater to use as my drainback tank.

The 6 gallon drainback tank has a heating element in it so I am planning on installing a couple PV panels and connecting the juice from those panels directly to my drainback tank heating element to help keep that water red hot using the Solar hot water controller available here on this website.

My drainback tank is designed to 'split off' via a Y pipe and circulate thru 2 other tanks.

One storage tank is used for domestic hot water use and is sent directly to my propane fired tankless domestic hot water heater.

The other storage tank is used for heat distribution out to a very long Runtal radiator in my house.

I'm hoping to create hotter water during cold winter months using the solar hot water controller.

Thanks for testing, designing and constructing such a great little unit and making it very easy to install for home owners/DIYourselfer's.

Take care.

Pat from Rhode Island

PS: If anyone wants to see full details on my solar hot water drainback system feel free to contact me and I'll send you a PDF file showing my componants, materials and complete layout.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print