HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Battery back for my boiler (Read 11238 times)
electron

Re: Battery back for my boiler
Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 3:23pm

IIINSAIII wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:30am:
I'm just reading what it says inside the panel. I know it could go up to three zones, but I'm using 2. There is a small motor to open and close the stack damper. I don't know if the 12.5 amp is max what the system can handle or Maybe if the unit was in a bigger house and needed bigger pumps. I don't know.

I would have to wait till October to turn on the boiler and get a reading, were at the upper 80's here.

I just wanted to know how many batteries I needed and what type to run the boiler. Undecided
I did my best but without good detailed technical information on how your system works it's just a guess based on what you said.

You could look at the boiler schematic and see if they have a 1500W element in there somewhere as a back up or boost system. If you can get a pic of the schematic, you could post it here, or if you find a online manual that has a schematic, post the link.

You could also look and see what is in there and possibly trace some of the wiring.

You should know this stuff as a homeowner, you should know how everything works in your home because you may be the one who has to fix it, or make it work in an emergency. So do your homework and educate yourself as much as you can, the public school system failed us all.

If there is a boost element, when running off of batteries you might want to disconnect it so it won't come on. You could put a switch on it if you wanted to make it more convenient but you want to label what it is because as years go by you may forget it's there.

Pumps and a few things don't add up to 1500W and that element won't help much if the gas is out, like I said, it would be better to stay in one small room and heat it with a space heater.

I still suggest to get a Kill-A-Watt and go around the house and measure stuff so you can get an idea of what things draw for power and where you can save since you are buying solar panels it's always good to know, and conserving is easier than generating.

Do you have a separate electric water heater? You may still want to consider going with the Hybrid Hot Water System I mentioned for day to day savings on power and only have one or two batteries for emergencies.

Good luck with your project!

IIINSAIII
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:30am

I'm just reading what it says inside the panel. I know it could go up to three zones, but I'm using 2. There is a small motor to open and close the stack damper. I don't know if the 12.5 amp is max what the system can handle or Maybe if the unit was in a bigger house and needed bigger pumps. I don't know.

I would have to wait till October to turn on the boiler and get a reading, were at the upper 80's here.

I just wanted to know how many batteries I needed and what type to run the boiler. Undecided

electron

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:58pm

IIINSAIII wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:14pm:
That what it says on the side of the boiler, its a gas fired boiler and it use natural gas to heat the water. The water gets pump up to the floor thats calling for heat. The water goes into baseboards, Then the water returns back to the boiler to get reheated again. The pumps are small and can fit in your hand. On the pumps it says it uses .75 amps.

A space heater is a space heater, all it does is heat the space where you put it. I'm talking about a boiler. Grin

Am I still missing something Smiley ?

You said it runs on 1500W - so what does the 1500W do?

You said you were running it with the generator. So is the 1500W for emergency heating? Is that enough?

And stop telling me it's a boiler, I get that, you don't get that you can't be heating your house on only 1500W, please read what I said. And I said it TWICE.

So what you are saying is you have a gas heating system and you are OK as long as the gas is flowing, but you need a small amount of power to run the pumps.

The pumps should be run off a sine wave inverter or else they will get hot, motors are better on a sine wave inverter.

So you are talking about less than 300W and that could be a small inverter, like a 600W is pretty cheap. You could do that with a single walmart battery for $99, about 114 Ah if you have a 12V inverter.

The 1500W is probably not a concern as long as the gas is on. You need to explain what it is for.

Why not get a Kill-A-Watt meter for $20 and monitor your system sometime and see what you actually need instead of guessing.

IIINSAIII
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:14pm

That what it says on the side of the boiler, its a gas fired boiler and it use natural gas to heat the water. The water gets pump up to the floor thats calling for heat. The water goes into baseboards, Then the water returns back to the boiler to get reheated again. The pumps are small and can fit in your hand. On the pumps it says it uses .75 amps.

A space heater is a space heater, all it does is heat the space where you put it. I'm talking about a boiler.  Grin

Am I still missing something  Smiley ?

electron

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:28pm

IIINSAIII wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:59am:
It's not a space heater, it's a boiler.

"Are you saying you are heating your whole house with the equivalent of a 1500W Space heater?"

A space heater is normally about 1500W.

So can you heat your whole house with a space heater?

I am trying to point out that something is missing here, 1500W is not enough to heat a house, unless it's maybe 15 ft X 15 ft. And your system has a lot of loss.

So what are we missing here? What is the other energy source?

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:20am

You can burn pallets too if you take them apart. Some places give them away. Old furniture any limbs that fall down the possibilities are endless for finding wood. And talk about putting out heat wow they get hot. You have to set the stove on metal plate and bricks and have a metal backing plate on the wall. Or tile the floor. Some people put the stove pipe out the window. I bet there are a lot of videos about how to set up a stove on youtube. Wink

IIINSAIII
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:59am

It's not a space heater, it's a boiler. A boiler that has two zone and it heats up water to heat up the house. I can turn of one zone and keep the upstairs one. It's a boiler not a space heater. It takes 120 volts and 12.5amp.

But I do understand what you was saying about a wood burning stove. I was looking into that too. I Just have to fine a place in the house where to put it.

So then my battery back up will be for my light, tv and other equipment. But then I will need a pure sine wave inverter.

I going to try to start out with 4 T-105RE @ 225ah and work from there. Cool

electron

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 9:55pm

There must be something missing here.

Are you saying you are heating your whole house with the equivalent of a 1500W Space heater?

If you can do that then go with a actual space heater and save all the piping and other conversion losses.

Who's to say natural gas will be available? In earthquakes most lines break.

You are correct that you don't need a sine wave inverter for a simple resistive load like the heating element. But you will probably want to run more than that off of your back up system in an emergency.

It's easier to bundle up in the cold and use your solar energy for other things in an emergency, or space heat a small, small room. And like Solar Freak says, burn wood if you can.

It's not easy to heat a house, you are talking about 1000's of watts of power.

They do make some small space heaters, one is called a personal space heater and it's only 200W but would keep you warm in a very small room.

With your 400W of panels you can use the Solar Hybrid Hot Water Controller to directly power a hot water heating element with less power loss than a inverter system, it's for your normal 2 element water heater, and in an emergency you could switch the panels over to some kind of charging system for a extra boost.

You might be able to add pre-heat tanks to your heating system and use the Hybrid Controller with a lot more solar panels to heat the water directly before it gets to the main tank somehow.

More info on the controller is here:
http://techluck.com/

Good luck with your project!

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:03pm

Can you get a chainsaw and install a small free standing wood stove? some people make them out of barrels with a kit that comes with legs and a door and connection for the top stove pipe. Some people will let you cut wood to clear the the land. I go get wood at the cities tree dump to burn in my wood stove in my shop. It really heats nice. And its free. You could use it in emergency it you like just pile up wood. I can buy a rick for 45 dollars but I ve never needed to yet Smiley.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2013 at 10:15pm by Solar Freak »  
IIINSAIII
YaBB Newbies

Battery back for my boiler
Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:18am

Hi everyone,�

This is my first time here and my first post, my friend shartne told me to come here.

Ok, I have a project I'm trying to do. I live in long island NY and I was effect when Sandy came in. I was out of power for about two weeks. But I am a prepper so I had eight 5 gallons gas cans on hand for my 6500 watt generator. So I was ok for about a week till I had to go on those line to wait for gas. So that storm really opened my eyes and I found a few weak points in my prepping.

First. I need to convert my generator to tri fuel, so I can run natural gas from my house. Endless supply and no need to wait on those gas line.

Second, and here is where I need help with. At night I turn off the generator to give everyone a break that was around me. " from where I can hear, I was the only one in my area with a generator" and to me that a big no no. The nail that sticks out gets slammed so I was worried.�

So when I turn off the gen I had no power to run my boiler at night and it was cold. I didn't care about myself, but my two boys and wife bothered me. What if the temp was 23 or in the teens or even below zero and not 40 degrees. So I want to have a battery back up for my boiler.

My boiler runs 120 volts & 12.5 amps and if I'm right that's 1500 watts. My boiler is a hot water boiler with two zones. Each circulating pump is .75 amps. I want the boiler to work off the batteries for about 12 hours. But remember, the boiler is not running all the time. Once the house reached the set temp it will turn off. I would say that the boiler would come on at least twice in an hour for about 15-20 minutes. So I would say it really runs at 5-6 hours.

Oh yea I almost forget, I ordered a four 100 watt solar panels, solar charger and a 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter from harbor freight. I know I know Harbor Freight!?!? But I get to see how everything works out for my first setup. Plus I hear a lot how other inverter breaking with no help getting it fix, I got a 2 year warranty just incase. But I will make a change to a pure sine wave later when I expand my system. Plus I didn't really think a boiler would need a pure sine wave! But I could be wrong.

My question is how many batteries do I need to get? I was looking at the T-105RE 250ah @ 6 volts. I was thinking about getting 4 just to start and see how it works.�

And If its a cloudy day and have no sun to charge to batteries I would like to use my generator to charge the batteries. I was even looking at a small generac 2000watt inverter generator. Its small, quiet and take less fuel to run.�

I'm just looking to take care of my family the best way I can and any help to point me in the right direction will help.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print