HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Just Bought Two New Go Power Inverters One Has Less No Load Power Draw (Read 7514 times)
electron

Re: Just Bought Two New Go Power Inverters One Has Less No Load Power Draw
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2013 at 9:45pm

Yes, the inverter sort of "wakes up" when it senses a load that turns on when in power save mode. If it has that feature that is, I don't know about that particular model so you will have to download the manual and see what it says.

The short cord is good, unfortunately for me I always have to run an extension cord to my loads, I am set up for emergency power only right now.

You should be able to use #8 wire for the inverter in short runs of 3 feet or so up to about 1800W output.

My fridge is about 1.5 KWh a day in winter, around 1.8 in summer (hotter in house).

You would have to insulate it like crazy and never open it and maybe .9 KWh a day I'm thinking but we will see.

You can probably run that fridge all day with the solar and have it shut off all night or maybe come on 2 times with a timer. Till you actually do this and watch the temps you won't know. Have it get really cold and let it warm up over night?

Water jugs would help hold temp in there too.

I use a wireless indoor / outdoor thing from accurite which was $16 at walmart and put the outdoor sensor in the fridge. The receiver is close by the fridge.

I hope you find good price on that freezer soon. Good luck!

Sounds like a fun project, keep us updated.

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:45pm

I want this to work all the time and be truly off grid. Cool The guy on youtube used a Killawatt meter. No cold air escapes when opening a lid on a chest type freezer. Grin He said if he didnt open it a lot or at all he saw this. Roll Eyes It makes me wonder now if the freezer is not running when it wants to come on will it be able to with the inverter asleep will it wake up? Shocked I am thinking i will have the freezer right next to my inverter so there not be a need for more than a three foot extension cord and if one is needed I will use a heavy duty one like 8 gauge.� Wink I have not bought a deep freeze yet. I want a cheap as possible one I can find used. I have been looking on Craig's list and I am wanting to find one around 50 or 60 dollars, close to my home not too terrible far to drive and it needs to be pretty small I'm thinking for better efficiency. Smiley

electron

Reply #1 - May 31st, 2013 at 1:59pm

I'm not sure about the .3 (300 Wh) a day, that's a little low, did he use a KAW or was he just guessing?

From the specs it looks like the power save mode is less for the 2000W so since you have both inverters you should do a actual test with your own meter.

A lot of these newer inverters will send a short AC pulse to see if a load is on, and then switch the inverter on, which is a great feature to save power. That would work really well for a older thermostat type of fridge, but not a newer digital type, you would have to install a old style thermostat because for digital to work it needs to be powered all the time.

If you will be running this through an extension cord, understand that the longer the run the more voltage drop so use a good cord if you can, for runs of 50 feet or more that is. Most appliances will handle 110V easily so it's not a big deal, more like wasted power and with solar you want every single watt to be used if possible.

The other spec:
No load power consumption: 1.5A

Is when it is sitting there putting out 120V but has no load, which is not the power save mode where it's trying to sense if the load is on or not. So you want to use the power save mode if possible.

You should put a Kill-A-Watt on your freezer as it is now and see what it draws with the compressor running so you can figure out how many panels to throw at it. A small one would probably be around 150W running, but that's just a guess. It's going to cycle and run about 4 times a hour depending on the room temperature, more run time in the summer of course.

Will this be just for emergencies or all the time?

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Just Bought Two New Go Power Inverters One Has Less No Load Power Draw
May 31st, 2013 at 1:29pm

I just purchased two Go Power Inverters a Go Power! GP-SW2000 24v 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a Go Power! 1500 Watt 24v Pure Sine Inverter  GP-SW1500-24. They are both known to be very dependable inverters. Any way I am wanting to set up off grid PV systems. I already have a couple of solar trackers with 7 230 watt panels on them. I will be making a freezer hack. I want to use a old chest freezer for a fridge because it is suppose to be highly efficient. I saw video on Youtube the guy claims it only used .3 Killowatts in a day.
My concern is which inverter to use for this experiment. GP-SW1500-24  Huh  Here are the specs. Part Number: GP-SW2000-24

Features:
2000 Watt continuous power
Pure sine wave
Dual GFCI receptacles
On/off switch
Thermostatically controlled cooling fan
ac output short circuit protection
Reverse Polarity Protection
Instruction manual
Free 2 year tech support
2 Year Warranty Parts and Labor

Specifications:
Continuous output power: 2000 Watts
Surge power capability (peak power): 4000 Watts
dc input / operating voltage: 21 to 30 Volts
Output voltage: 120 Volts ac
Output wave form: pure sine wave < 3% THD
Output frequency: 50/60 Hz Adjustable
Battery low voltage alarm: 21 +/- 0.5 Volts
Battery low voltage shutdown: < 20 Volts
No load power consumption: 1.5A
Powersave Mode: 0.3A
Full load efficiency: 85%
1/3 load efficiency: 92%
AC Output Socket Type: dual Type 2 -3 prong
High input voltage protection: 30V
Low input voltage shutdown: < 20V
Product size (L x W x H): 16.6" X 8.2" X 6.5" in
Inverter Weight 21 lbs.

GP-SW1500-24

The GP-SW1500-24 will run practically everything in your RV or cottage and still have pure power for the sensitive loads. Features include a duplex GFCI receptacle with full overload protection and power save mode. 24 Volt input with remote option.

Pure Sine Wave Advantage:
Motors run cooler and last longer
Microwaves heat in normal times
TV monitors will be crystal clear (as good as using city power)
Digital clocks keep time accurately
Medical equipment often requires pure sine wave for proper operation

Features:
1500 Watt continuous power
Pure sine wave
Dual ac receptacle
On/off switch
Thermostatically controlled cooling fan
ac output short circuit protection
Reverse Polarity Protection
Instruction manual
Free 2 year tech support
2 Year Warranty Parts and Labor

Specifications:
Continuous output power: 1500 Watts
Surge power capability (peak power): 2000 Watts
dc input / operating voltage: 21 to 30 Volts
Output voltage: 120 Volts ac
Output wave form: pure sine wave <3% THD
Output frequency: 50/60 Hz Adjustable
Battery low voltage alarm: 21.5 +/- 0.5 Volts
Battery low voltage shutdown: 21.0 +/- 0.5 Volts
No load power consumption: .65A
Powersave Consumption: 0.5A
Full load efficiency: 90%
1/3 load efficiency: 95%
AC Output Socket Type: dual Type 2 -3 prong
High input voltage protection: 31V
Low input voltage shutdown: 21V
Product size (L x W x H): 16.3�X 10.9�X 4.1�
Inverter Weight 17 lbs. Shocked

I only have four deep cycle batteries for now so i may be using only one inverter for awhile until I decide on more batteries and what kind to get. I am poor so they will have to be very affordable. Embarrassed
I will keep everyone up to date on my progress as the project progresses.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print