HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
36 volt panel, 14-28 volt gti (Read 3155 times)
electron

Re: 36 volt panel, 14-28 volt gti
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2013 at 5:26pm

100% awesome wrote on May 5th, 2013 at 11:25am:
My dilemma;
I have a 240 watt 36 volt panel. My gti, however, is restricted to 28 volts maximum. So my question is, how do I solve this issue?

I assume you mean it's 36V open circuit but is a normal "24V" panel. And the GTI is one of the Power Jack types that is rated at 14-28V.

The problem is that the GTI "lets go" sometimes during MPPT when it does some sort of start over and would over voltage and not start up even if you got it started somehow in the first place, and the input capacitor is only rated for 35V so you don't want to push that.

What I do is feed a set of 24V batteries (anything 50 Ah or larger is OK) using a CMP-12/24 ebay cheap controller along with the TechLuck.com "GTI Controller".

Now I have a backup battery always charged for emergencies but any extra goes to the grid.

What it does is it waits till the battery comes up to about 28.8V (pretty much charged) and then turns on the GTI for 2 minutes and does that over and over whenever the voltage hits the set point. The batteries are not drained very much in only 2 minutes.

It should work with any simple charge controller.

So now all you need to do is set the panels up to charge the batteries any way you can, but don't let them go over about 29.6V because that's where the GTI seems to not want to start, and not over 35V because that's where the cap max is at. That's why the CMP controller is needed to keep the voltage down below the GTI start voltage.

If you hooked the GTI directly to the batteries it would pull them down to 14V before it shut off, not good for the batteries.

100% awesome
YaBB Newbies

36 volt panel, 14-28 volt gti
May 5th, 2013 at 11:25am

My dilemma;
    I have a 240 watt 36 volt panel. My gti, however, is restricted to 28 volts maximum. So my question is, how do I solve this issue?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print