HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Do Auto fuse links have more resistance to voltage than breakers? (Read 5870 times)
tiggeroush
YaBB Newbies

Re: Do Auto fuse links have more resistance to voltage than breakers?
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 1:19pm

That is very interesting. It was good your wife seen the clock.

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 6:06am

Thank you for your reply by quoting that link that is interesting to know about the arcing of the contacts builds up corrosion on contacts causing resistance. Makes me think about my AC breaker box Im having problems with. I actually shut the main off and went to work on a light switch in the hall way and it was still on. Lucky my wife said this clock is still flashing and I realized some how the power was still on. I went to the fuse box flipped the main breaker back and forth a few times and finally the power cut off like I was wanting. So breakers need to be replaced after while for several reasons.  Huh

tiggeroush
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 4:24pm

I took this off a web site and it is not mine.

Stationary and moving contacts are built from alloys that are formulated to endure the abuse of electrical arcing.† However, if contacts are not maintained on a regular basis, their electrical resistance due to repeated arcing builds up.† This resistance build-up results in a significant decrease in the contactís ability to carry current.† Excessive corrosion of contacts is detrimental to the breaker performance.† One way to check contacts is to apply dc current and measure the contact resistance or voltage drop across the closed contacts.† The breaker contact resistance should be measured from bushing terminal to bushing terminal with the breaker in the closed position.† It is recommended that for medium and high voltages the resistance test be made with 100-Amps (or higher) direct current.† The use of a higher current value gives more reliable results than using lower current values.† The resistance value is usually measured in micro-ohms.† The average resistance value for 15-kV-class air circuit breakers is approximately between 200-250 mico-ohms.† The evaluation should be made on comparing resistance values of the three phases with each other, or with resistance values of similar breakers.† A difference of more than 50 percent in resistance values among the three phases of a breaker should warrant further investigation.
http://blog.protecequip.com/blog/common-sense-testing/circuit-breaker-contact-re...

I do not think you will be able to detect the difference.
The ohms of a fuse might take a 10 feet or more to read.
Even 22AWG wire is .01614 ohms per foot. http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

Some of the auto fuses are in the range of 1/16 inch for the element. That might put them in the area of 0.000168 ohms.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2013 at 4:45pm by tiggeroush »  
electron

Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 9:14am

I would think that since a breaker has more components in it than a simple fuse, it would have a little more resistance.

It would be an interesting test to do at high amps, but I think the loss would be negligible in most situations.

I think fuses are cheap enough for protection of the few very rare times you may short something out.

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Do Auto fuse links have more resistance to voltage than breakers?
Jan 7th, 2013 at 8:14am

I had a friend and he asked me if I thought auto fuses caused more resistance to voltage than regular DC Solar breakers. I dont think so but it remains to be tested I guess. Seems to me like if the wire running into the auto fuse was as large as the wire running from the panels it would not have a lot of resistance. But I really dont know? I may have to make a video test experiment of that some day.  Shocked

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print