HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
New home owner - looking for suggestions on how to save money (Read 8784 times)
electron

Re: New home owner - looking for suggestions on how to save money
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 5:38am

You may want to look at this thread:
http://techluck.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1328708243
"30+ Year Old Solar Panel Is Still At Factory Specs! From 1979!"

Solar Freak
YaBB Newbies

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 10:06am

One of the easiest ways to save energy is LED light bulbs they use even less energy than the mercury containing florescent bulbs. I like to buy my LED bulbs off of ebay because they are cheaper there. They use half the wattage florescent bulbs do and they don't Cry hurt the environment by filling the landfill with mercury. And that can get into the ground water. Cry

electron

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 10:51pm

You always start saving money as soon as you spend some Smiley

A lot of people have put off getting solar panels and every month their money goes into the bottomless pit of the power company. Money burnt up in coal.

At least with the panels you get something you can keep, and it's something of substance and value.

They don't instantly die at 20 or 30 years when the warranty is up. Some people say they only last 30 years. They will lose a little power over time, but when that happens the price will be lower so you just add one more panel to make up the difference.

With a small GTI you can slowly build your system, adding panels and more GTIs as you go. You could start out with just one panel.

It's fun making your own power!

Seeing your meter turn backwards - PRICELESS!

netrate
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 4:18pm

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I am looking for something on a budget or DIY, not really sure where to start.  Just viewing some solar rainbarrels which seems interesting.  I guess the main issue is - am I going to save money?  Am I putting out more of a cash outlay than I will be saving in the future?

electron

Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 4:12pm

You should read some of the threads here, then head on over to YouTube, search for "solar install" first and see how others have done it.

If you have room on the ground in your back yard or a south facing fence, that's the easiest way to get started and what I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUDEGrCTHeE

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpF6_AGqWZ8

The easiest thing to do for power output is simply get a low cost, small Grid Tie Inverter. You just connect two solar panel wires, plug it in, and you are creating power! Search for "Grid Tie Inverter" on YouTube. Check out the ones with a small 300W GTI. People get them on ebay.

Then search YouTube for "solar setup" or "solar controller" and you can check out other people's installs of their equipment.

That should keep you busy for a while, then drop on back here and let us know how it's going. Or post links to your own YouTube videos.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm by electron »  
netrate
YaBB Newbies

New home owner - looking for suggestions on how to save money
Feb 5th, 2012 at 2:46pm

I am looking into solar, rainbarrels etc in an effort to find ways to save money on the new house I bought.  Any suggestions are welcome or if you could send me in the direction.  Thank you in advance.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print