HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Wire length for my home made solar panel ? (Read 4881 times)
freddy
YaBB Newbies

Re: Wire length for my home made solar panel ?
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 11:37am

before applying the solar panel make sure the wire you are using is made of pure aluminum or copper because these are the most good conductor of heat and electricity

electron

Re: Wire length for my home made solar panel ?
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 8:20pm

You really got a good deal on that!

When you double the wire you effectively double it's size in diameter (but not the AWG). So if you look on the wire size chart at the site below and double the diameter for 18 AWG it shows that it's about a 12 AWG wire at that point.

Losses will be minimal at 3A only, at 12 AWG. If you are going to go through the trouble of running wire you might want to plan for the future and run as many as you can.

This is a great resource to have bookmarked, I've gone to this site many times.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

"in American wire gage every 6 gauge decrease gives a doubling of the wire diameter"

jim512
YaBB Newbies

Wire length for my home made solar panel ?
Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:37pm

I went to a second hand store and found 600 ft of two strand  18 awg gage wire for $10. I want to go 40 ft, or more, to my homemade solar panels. I think 18 gage is rated to go 25 ft at 3 amps.... But what if I used a bus bar and doubled or tripled the connection of that 18 gage wire. Would it act like its 9 gage wire? or would it still be to thin and I would lose power through the resistance of the wire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print