HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Can you help with inverter choices? (Read 3532 times)
oldbrew
YaBB Newbies

Re: Can you help with inverter choices?
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 5:50am

Thanks, why they have to make this so dificult is beyond me. Why one inverter cant power my stuff but another can is silly. I wil keep looking around with your info in mind! Who knows a good one that is working for them now?

electron

Re: Can you help with inverter choices?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:47am

Depends on what you want to power with it, there are two types of inverters available.

1. Modified Sine Wave Inverter or "MSW".
2. Pure Sine Wave Inverter or "PSW".

MSW inverters are lower price, but they may have problems powering some loads.

PSW inverters cost more and put out the same type of clean sine wave power the power grid does. They should be able to power any AC appliance up to it's output wattage limits.

Things such as refrigerators, power tools, water or well pumps or anything with a motor may have problems with a MSW inverter and will also run hotter with a MSW so you have to take that into consideration when running any type of inductive loads.

You may also get some RF (high frequency) interference from a MSW and AM radios might not work near your electrical wires.

All inverters are sized by wattage, so you need to know what the max is you will be pulling, and also what the start up power is needed when you first turn on a refrigerator or other motors.

You probably already figured that out, just thought I'd mention it.

Most computers function OK on a MSW because they have a switching power supply and the first thing that happens inside one is the AC is turned to DC, so a square wave inverter would work OK too.

UPSs don't like MSW inverters because the voltage appears to be too high and a lot of them will not switch in, staying on UPS power, not something you want. You will have to test different models somehow to find one that works OK with a MSW.

A number of newer MSW inverters have some special circuitry to mimic a sine wave closer, so those may do better for you. But the cost approaches PSW so why not just go for the best?

One simple way to find out how things will work is to buy a small MSW inverter and try stuff on it.

Some people will use both types of inverters and run different circuits to different loads.

Hope that helps.

oldbrew
YaBB Newbies

Can you help with inverter choices?
Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:50pm

Im gathering things I need. I got some fuses that are way big I want to hook them up soon! Inverters are crazy complicated, this and that stuff.

I want to power everything in my house some day but aint got a lota dollars. Not shure where to go from here. sugestions would be very helpful.thanks.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print