HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Latest Threads 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
The "new" Hybrid UPS & Inverter concept (Read 8536 times)
electron

Re: The "new" Hybrid UPS & Inverter concept
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:18pm

helloman1976 wrote on Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:03am:
1. Hook one leg of my inverter to this UPS
2. UPS to to my distribution center (sub panel)
3. Run legs throughout the house off the sub panel with each leg having it's own 15A breaker.
They changed the link on you... (now it's "adaptive")
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/adaptive-sinewave-series/C...

With what you are saying about your inverter output you would also want another smaller one to cover some smaller loads.

Or maybe you are thinking you can lose some circuits for a few seconds while your automatic transfer switch goes over to the grid?

900W for 2 minutes. That should cover it.

Now I'm wondering what this wonderful circuitry is, so they start using better components than their other crappy models?
"patented GreenPower UPS™ advanced circuitry reduces UPS energy costs by up to 75% compared to competitive models."

Then they call it "GreenPower UPS™ Bypass Technology", which is what every UPS does. Marketing BS.

I wonder how many people would rather have separate components so they can be replaced easily instead of a all in one "Hybrid" box?

helloman1976
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:03am

Check this out...
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP1500...

Here's my thoughts...

1. Hook one leg of my inverter to this UPS
2. UPS to to my distribution center (sub panel)
3. Run legs throughout the house off the sub panel with each leg having it's own 15A breaker.

This gives me the ability to isolate rooms and devices from using too much wattage. The UPS catches any loads while the automatic transfer switch (IOTA or whatever I get) flips over in 20 seconds in "generator" mode so there's a full bridge wave that comes through. The UPS is pure sine wave and handles  900W, the inverter puts out a maximum of 1,500W and 1,200W constant so they are almost matched perfectly. I'll add 4 more batteries for a total of 8 or  11.5KWh of storage and we are all set. This UPS comes with software that allows you to monitor it from a computer but even better is it has a LCD screen that tells you everything you need to know without having to run a computer as well, yet another thing to put online.

On a side note, I was going to put up a voltage meter in the living room but instead I found out I can custom setup SNMP alerts and my charge controller can send out "emails" and that means SMS can also be sent out so I'm going to have my system TEXT me on my phone....perfect...that way I'll always know the status etc...

electron

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 11:16am

helloman1976 wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:43am:
Looks interesting however they never show you what they are doing exactly and that loud humming when they switch to off-grid power is concerning since they did claim it made a pure sine wave. I'd like to see it in action a little more myself.
Check out this "Frequency Converter" from the same guys, he switches the frequency at about 1:40 and it makes some noise.

The battery is 220VDC ! I have no idea what he's saying.

helloman1976
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:43am

Looks interesting however they never show you what they are doing exactly and that loud humming when they switch to off-grid power is concerning since they did claim it made a pure sine wave. I'd like to see it in action a little more myself.

electron

The "new" Hybrid UPS & Inverter concept
Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:39am

These guys are showing a box that's a UPS and inverter designed for solar and wind energy.

It's basically a UPS that runs longer because you hook it to an external battery. I'm not sure what else it does, a little short on details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOI2jo-jxY

You can hear a hissing noise at about 4:30 when it switches to inverter, not sure if that's the lights or the inverter.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:40am by electron »  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print